2008-08-31

U.S. vs.Hungary - Round 1

Airports:

U.S. - O'Hare- semi-modern, crowded and hectic
Hungary - Ferigehy - tiny and old - looks like an airport for a small 3rd world country

Americans 1, Magyars 0 - although if I included the Germans and their Dusseldorf Spaceport they would win hands down.

Money:

U.S. - old, dead Presidents
Hungary - older, deader, more crazily dressed Kings

Seems like Hungary wins. But, then there's past inflation. It takes 270 forints just to ride the bus. 2000 to get a meal. Ouch. But, on the other hand, the dollar has been weakening. Just a year ago you could get 200 forints for a dollar. Now just 160. Since this is hurting us every time we take money out of the bank, I give this one to the Magyars.

Americans 1, Magyars 1

Streets:

U.S. - congested and noisy in big cities
Hungary - surprisingly dirty - everything from the sidewalks to building walls is layered with soot. It doesn't seem like they enforce any emissions requirements here. I also imagine they burned a lot of coal during the communist period - assuming they don't today. So, be thankful next time the state makes you get an emissions test - think of the alternative.

Result: While I do like the little green man (the sign that it is okay to cross a street) he's not cool enough to overcome all the pollution. Running downtown here makes me sympathize with the Olympians who complained about running in Beijing.

Americans, 2, Magyars 1

Mental Institutions:

U.S. - in quiet, out-of-the-way locations
Hungary -apparently none as all their crazies apparently are dancing around in parks bucknaked.

Americans 4, Magyars 1 (2 pts for this one as I still can't sleep)

Cashiers

US - have to stand
Hungary - allowed to sit

Americans 4, Magyars 2

Croissants

US - small and dry
Hungary - large and filled with chocolate pudding

Americans 4, Magyars 3 - I have found a European answer to the American donut!

Beer:

US - huge range running the gamet from Natty Light to good microbrews
Hungary - seem to have one major beer and it tastes really weird.

Americans 5, Magyars 3 (Of course this is another contest the Germans would probably win if included - there are a lot of German beers sold here by the way)

Historic Buildings:

US - some 200 year old wood frame and/or brick houses in some cities
Hungary - Castles dating back as much as 700 years. Huge, beautiful, stone buildings dating hundreds of years old cover all of downtown.

Americans 5, Magyars 4 (not even close on this one)

Public Transportation

US - almost non-existent outside of the largest cities
Hungary - you can get anywhere and everywhere without a car fairly easily and fairly quickly

Americans 5, Magyars 5

Music & Movies

This one is easy, Hungarians just seem to watch American movies dubbed over in Hungarian. As for music, most public places have American music blasting through their speakers. The first song I heard at a restaurant here was "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It"... I wonder how many of the customers knew what the song was saying....

Americans 6, Magyars 5

Sports Coverage

US - mostly basketball, baseball, and football. Other coverage is geared toward American short attention spans
Hungary - soccer, track. Olympic coverage included a lot of rowing, volleyball, and track. They actually showed an entire 5000 meter track race - and it wasn't even a final! American TV producers feel that Americans have such short attention spans - and perhaps they're right - that they only show the final lap of distance races.

Result - I miss my baseball and football, but Susan is glad for the break, plus we both like track - so this one's a wash.

Americans 6, Magyars 5

Close game. Tune in for Round 2 whenever I feel like adding some more pointless musings....

No comments: